Al Tayer inspects Bin Yaber Driving InstituteOctober 15, 2020
UAE Driving License Renewal: Fees, Process, FinesFebruary 12, 2024
Dubai Driving License Process
Navigating the process of obtaining a driving license in Dubai is a systematic journey. Understanding each stage is essential for a smooth experience, so here is a breakdown of what you need to do to obtain a driving license in Dubai, UAE.
To qualify for a driver’s license, an applicant residing in Dubai needs to
- 17 years & 6 months for light motor vehicles
- Be in good medical condition and pass a medical test, including an eye examination test
- Be enrolled in a driving school that has been authorized by the Roads and Transport Authority, such as the Bin Yaber Driving Institute branches in Dubai
- Pass the mandatory practical and theoretical exams
- Pay the required fees
Documents Required to Apply For a Driving License in the UAE
In addition to your eligibility criteria, the documents needed to obtain a driver’s license include the following:
- The original Emirates ID card
- A scanned copy of the Emirates ID card
- Copy of passport
- Copy of residence visa
- Eye test report
Dubai Driving License Application Process
Once you have secured the necessary documents, the application process you need to follow to obtain your driver’s license is simple:
- Visit the driving institutes approved by the RTA to open a traffic file
- Visit a center approved by the RTA to take an eye test
- Enroll and complete theoretical and practical driving lessons
- Pass the final test at the RTA
- Receive your UAE driving license
Medical Fitness Test
Dubai follows The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) medical standards used in the UK by adhering to high-quality European medical evaluations designed to confirm that drivers are medically competent to operate heavy vehicles. The medical fitness test is only required for the heavy vehicle category and includes screening for general health issues as well as conditions, such as blood pressure, diabetes, and vision. The medical fitness test can be conducted in one of many authorized centers
Training and Tests for UAE Driving License
Mandatory Training Hours
Whether you are an experienced driver or not, you are required to sit for mandatory training hours. The number of hours is set based on your driving experience.
- If you are a beginner, you are required to take 20 hours of training.
- If your driving experience is between two to five years, then you are required to take 15 hours of training.
- As an experienced driver with over five years of driving experience, you are required to take only 10 hours of training, given that you are a holder of an original valid or expired license.
Theoretical Knowledge Test
Passing the RTA Dubai Theoretical Knowledge Test is a must for anybody who wants to drive in Dubai, UAE. For this test, there are 40 questions, covering 10 different topics; you can benefit from the 300+ practice questions for the test, though, to be better prepared. The Theoretical Knowledge Test will evaluate your knowledge of road preparation and your understanding of the intricate traffic laws and ordinances in the UAE. The test will also empower you to take on any unexpected road hazards and life-threatening circumstances when driving.
Once you pass the theoretical test, you can proceed to the practical training. The practical training consists of a number of classes that you need to take before proceeding to the road test. The practical training classes include a live simulation and hands-on practice of the road test, allowing you to be as prepared as can be for your final assessment before you attain your driving license in Dubai.
If you fail the road test, you are required to take a set number of practical training sessions before sitting for the test again.
The road test, being the last step to getting your driver’s license, is arguably the hardest part of this process. This is your chance to prove to the examiner that you can drive in Dubai. During the Road Test, the examiner will be keen on making sure that you have taken all necessary steps as soon as you close the car door. These include closing the doors securely, adjusting seats, adjusting and checking mirrors, using the seatbelts, checking the wipers, lights, as well as horns, and starting the engine. The examiner is also looking to see that you are using the mirrors when needed, signaling at appropriate times, switching lanes seamlessly, making proper turns, and following safety precautions and distances, among others.
Cost and Fees for a UAE Driving License
While the prospect of driving is exciting in the UAE, it comes with a financial commitment. The cost and fees for a UAE Driving License vary based on the type of license you need to obtain, the number of classes you are taking,. At Bin Yaber Driving Institute Dubai,the fee range is between AED 3,000 and 7000
Tips for Success
Securing a driving license in Dubai requires dedication and preparation. In this final section, we will provide some valuable tips for success, including effective study strategies, optimal training approaches, and advice for staying calm during tests.
To pass the Theoretical Knowledge Test, you need to
- Meticulously read the RTA handbook,
- Practice as much as possible through mock tests and with the help of professionals
- Memorize traffic and road signs
To pass the RTA Road Test, you need to
- Come prepared with all the necessary documents
- Follow the instructions of the examiner
- Follow the tips on the checklist provided by your driving school, some of which include
- Adjusting your mirror and seats
- Fastening your seatbelt
- Checking the handbrake before you start
- Checking the gear before you start
- Drive confidently – you have been preparing for the test for a while now, and confidence is key!
- Always stop at the STOP sign even if you see a clear lane
- Maintain a safe distance between your car and the cars in front of you
- Only change lanes when you have checked all mirrors and the blind spot and when you have given an indicator
- Brake smoothly – hard brakes need to be avoided at all costs.
For an ultimate guide on how to drive in the UAE with all the necessary tips for success, make sure to consult with an RTA-approved center for practical training classes such as Bin Yaber Driving Institute that will guarantee your preparedness for the road test.